trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:39 pm 

Hello from Nashville!
I'm new to guitar and amp making. I recently found Trinity and am interested in possibly building a Tramp - it has all the features I want -- low wattage, Master volume, clean and dirty sounds -- except for reverb. Trying to decide if that's a deal breaker. I've looked on this forum for questions about adding reverb or an effects loop and saw some posts from several years back. I can live without built-in reverb (I know that introduces lots of complexity) but would love to have a way to add it before the amp stage. I'm wondering if the modification of adding an effects loop has been revisited recently. If there is an after-market pedal solution for an effects pedal, I'd be willing to consider that. I've seen a few things like that but don't understand how they would sneak in between pre-amp and amp.

Thanks and it's been fascinating to check out some of the build descriptions here.
Regards,
Mitch

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:21 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Hi Mitch,
I think you will be hard-pressed to find a way to put in an effects loop in this amp and preserve the magic of the amp. The reason is that a lot of the character of the amp comes from the power tube, especially when cranked. Placing an effects loop in between the pre-amp and power amp and running reverb or delay in it wouldn't be a whole lot different than running them before the input, especially if you are relying on power tube distortion (Which in my opinion is integral to the tone of the Tramp). I've seen examples of passive effects loops in a 5E3 circuit, but not much I could find in a "simple" circuit like the Tramp (simple as in tube complement and single-ended design). A digital reverb might get a little tricky due to the voltage scaling in the Tramp. Using a tube-buffered loop requires another tube and a major re-do of the circuit, which defeats the purpose of the Tramp. Buffered FX loops require tapping into the power rail and again may pose problems with the FX loop board power supply. An option (but not cheap) that might work for this amp as well as any others without a loop is to get a Fryette power station. This sits between the amp's speaker out and your speaker cab, and it has an effects loop so you can run time-based effects after power tube distortion. I'm looking at this right now for my other amps and may pull the trigger on one soon, but the examples I've seen are pretty convincing. It will allow you to preserve the great tone of the Tramp, and essentially have a way to run a post-power tube loop on any amp you have, now or in the future.

In all honesty, the Tramp is such a responsive amp and just has layers of harmonic complexity you may be tricked into thinking the amp has reverb. The only pedal I've used on it is a tube screamer just to push it a little more, but otherwise it just "breathes" when cranked, Tweed or Tude mode. sounds great!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:01 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

We havent tried to add efects into the tramp. Reverb was one option we were considering but would need a lengthy test cycle. Our pref is to put it in front via pedal.