trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:51 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I've seen a lot of posts around the "net" by guys building 5F1 Champs and then follow up posts by the same builder about adding a "VVR" or using an attenuator because it's too loud, or plugging into a bigger speaker/cab because it's too small sounding, etc. Since owning my Tramp, when I read these posts I can't figure why you would go for a 5F1 Champ build over the Tramp, I just can't figure it.

Now, maybe these guys want a more "classic" build or something, but if in the end you need to then look at VVR, attenuators, more volume via bigger speakers/cabs, more tonal options via EQ pedal, or whatever added flexibility isn't there in the one-knob 5F1 design, I don't get why you'd build one.

A few times I have posted on forums about the Tramp and all the things it can do on top of Tweed Champ/Princeton sounds and plus, plus, but I get the feeling that when I tell them what the Tramp can do, they think it sounds too good to be true!

I must be missing something. :rol

Snowy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:30 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Never underestimate the power of MOJO!!

Since the Tramp can do Champ (Fender) and Marshall type tones, and everything inbetween, add 212 &/or pedals as required and you can cover a Ton of ground - a lot more than a one knob champ.

...but, one knob and only 3 tubes is an appealing first amp, but it would definitely be a Tramp Lite!!

Perhaps if you told people that you can set it up to be a Champ, they would be more interested?
CHAMP SET UP: MV on max; B & T mid; both 'tude & fat OFF; Power about 8 snd use only Volume control.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:39 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Wow, it's like the OP was reading my mind when starting this thread.

I'm in the planning stages of the next amp project and for various reasons I've been looking into Tweed. I have various flavors and variations of Blackface already: Fender Super Champ, Allen Old Flame (BFSR flavor), Allen Chihuahua (BF Champ with extras). I also have the non Master Volume Marshall thing down in the 18 watt format of my Trinity sIII V6. Although the itch for a Hiwatt (Triwatt) and Vox/Matchless/Trace Elliot (TC15) won't go away, the Tweed itch is stronger.

In the post above mine and in my other thread ( http://www.trinityamps.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3243 ) Coco has laid out the recipe for dialing the Tramp for 5F1 Champ tones. Oddly enough, my initial round of questions on the Tramp were along the lines of how well it could do the bigger Tweed stuff (i.e. Deluxe and Bassman), since I've been pleasantly surprised by how much I like Reissue Bassmans and even the CVR as an alternative to the standby BF cleans. I was "concerned" that the little old Tramp may not do that. Basically, how far could the Tramp stretch in the bigger direction.

It never dawned on my to wonder about the Tramp stretching in the smaller direction, probably becasue it never dawned on my to care about tiny old Champs. I've owned some horrible sounding little tiny amps (basically toys) that were somewhat in the old Tweed Champ vein (e.g. Champion 600) and wasn't thrilled. But that was before yesterday when I strolled into a guitar shop to kill time at lunch (sort of like what I'm doing now during lunch in my office!) and tried out the Fender EC Vibro-Champ. Holy Fajitas, Batman! It was actually a fun little amp that really and truly did get that Layla album (think "Have You Ever Loved a Woman") tone with a Strat. [See the tail end of that linked thread for discussion on this very topic - especially about the attenuation] Champs all of a sudden became interesting.

Now, I actually wondered if the Trinity Champ could stretch into the small direction and nail that Champ tone (albeit with a bigger speaker and a handful more watts). I started wondering if I should abandon the idea of a Tramp and look into a simple Champ clone with a simple L-Pad on the speaker output. I was basically asking myself the very question the OP used as the premise for this thread!

But Coco's recipe makes me think that a Champ may be a waste of time. If the Tramp can cover that ground (and offers two forms of attenuation to boot!) while still offering Princeton--->Deluxe--->Bassman-ish tones too, then a Champ becomes less appealing.

What's the "recipe" for bigger Tweed amp tones? Princeton setup? Deluxe setup?

And I suppose behind it all, there's those little push-pull pots and baby Marshall flavors there for the taking too, huh? :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:07 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Here's my recipes for "bigger" Tweed tones from my Tramp Head.

I use a 6L6GC tube, run in "Fat" and Tweed modes, into one (or two) 12" cabs. I like to hit the front end of my "Big Tweed" Tramp with a good quality, high headroom Clean Boost, I have a "Flying Dragon" clean boost or Fulltone Fatboost for that purpose.

http://lizardlegeffects.com/pedals/dragon.html

I basically max the Tramp's Master vol and Power knobs and set the Volume to a clean setting of 4. Then I will progressively bring up the boost volume to the point where I'm starting to hear some breakup in the tone, then just back it off a little so it's still clean, just a lot louder. At that point the Tramp is MUCH louder and still clean (Tweed Style- "thick furry clean"), and highly touch responsive. I'll then roll up the Tramp's Volume knob to between 5 - 7 for a very loud Tweed tone with a touch of breakup, sounds like a big fat Tweed in a small package by then, I will just leave the boost on as part of the recipe.

Here's the core of my "Big Tweed" Tramp setup

But that's not all, if I want to go "Massive Tweed" I'll use the stereo outs of my TC electronics HOF Reverb pedal and run one out to the Tramp with the above settings and the other out to my 57 Deluxe set to about 3 - 4 and sitting beside the Tramp setup. Now that sounds like a really BIG TWEED.

Back at home after the gig, swap in the 6V6 use the VRM, set the Tramp as per Coco's recipe and you have the Champ flavour again.

So versatile, the tone controls, the Pre and Master volumes, the ability to swap power tubes, the VRM, the dual speaker outs with impedance selector switch. I understand Mojo and it's pulling power, but I guess I'm too much of a practical character to believe it will serve me as well as all those benefits I just listed.

I am feeling this strange urge to build another Tramp as a nice little 1 x 10 comb though! :lol:

Last edited by No457 Snowy on Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:56 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I think you nailed the Big Tweed Tone.

I have one customer thinking 15" Tramp! :o

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:23 am 
Experienced
Experienced

coco wrote:
I think you nailed the Big Tweed Tone.

I have one customer thinking 15" Tramp! :o

15" will do BIG TWEED for sure!! :shock:

Saves on tubes too, and cheap to experiment, it's always a bit of a chuckle when people look in the back and see one 6L6 and one 12AX7!! :giggle:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:13 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

SPAM!!