trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:22 am 
Friend
Friend

I am thinking of building the Tramp. I play rock, blues and early rock. My main guitar is a telecaster. Do you think the Tramp will work for me? Also, what speaker is being used with the Tramp kit?
The majority of my playing is at home. All opinions welcomed. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:40 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Dave6789 wrote:
I am thinking of building the Tramp. I play rock, blues and early rock. My main guitar is a telecaster. Do you think the Tramp will work for me? Also, what speaker is being used with the Tramp kit?
The majority of my playing is at home. All opinions welcomed. Thanks.

I have both a combo a head version. They play well with almost any speaker, guitar, pedal. You have multiple setups available with a push or pull of the 'tude switch, fat or thin switch. Both volumes and treble/bass controls are effective although I normally dime the volumes and use the power level for tone control. Does pretty much Fender to Marshall with lots in the middle.

Tele's make the best noise

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:03 am 
Friend
Friend

I am looking at 4 speakers for my combo build of the Tramp. They are:

WGS 12" Veteran 30 - 60 watts

WBS 12" British Lead - 80 watts

WGS 10 " Veteran - 20 watts

WGS 10" G10C - 75 watts.

If anyone has used any of the speakers, your input would be appreciated. I do not know if the 12" speakers will fit in the tramp case, if you have put them in, let me know.

Thanks,

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:09 pm 
Friend
Friend

I'm going on the weekend workshop as well and I have a 30 watt 12" Weeber (not the BBQ) 12A125A Classic Alnico in my cabinet already. I'll let you know how it sounds once the Tramp is built.

Brian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:17 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Dave6789 wrote:

WGS 10" G10C - 75 watts.

If anyone has used any of the speakers, your input would be appreciated. I do not know if the 12" speakers will fit in the tramp case, if you have put them in, let me know.

Thanks,

I have all 4, go with the G10C in the combo for all round use slanted more towards the Fenderish and still do Marshall/Vox type tone. 10" vetran will give real cone breakup with the tramp and a 6L6 when you are in 'tude mode, you get a real Marshall vibe. Install a second switch in the back panel so you can use an EL34 and it gets real marshall type sound.
The British lead is an in your face kinda of nasal type mostly midrange tone. Cuts through anything. Using it in my Peavey Windsor studio combo (anything is better than a Blue Marvel) and it gets lots of play, But I wouldn't put it in the Tramp as it is not a tone for practice work.
I have the Vet 30 in a closed back 1x12 that works well with all my amps.
In my combo I am using the G10A and it is a phenomenal sounding combination. Normally in parallel with a WGS ET65 closed back 1x12 ext cab.
In the Combo go with a 10", easier to plug and unplug speakers, change tubes and impeadance selector switch access.
If you really have a need for a 12", see how much Coco will charge for an upgrade to a tweed combo with a cut out in the top for a Tramp. Then you have lots of space.
My preference is for the 10" is it keeps the weight down a little and the combo was made to travel and it does.
You can always add a ext cab down the road with any 12" you want.
Unless you like 15" speakers.
For the Tramp I built in a head style I have a 1x12 open back cab being made with a WGS G15C squeezed in :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:06 pm 
Novice
Novice

brimc76 wrote:
I'm going on the weekend workshop as well and I have a 30 watt 12" Weeber (not the BBQ) 12A125A Classic Alnico in my cabinet already. I'll let you know how it sounds once the Tramp is built.

Brian

Great speaker. I have the same one in a Trinity Tweed Deluxe kit I built. Really brings out the full range of the amp.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:10 pm 
Friend
Friend

Roadstar wrote:
I think if you can wait 2 weeks until the Tramp building course is done you will have 17 new opinions. I personally chose an 8 ohm, 30 watt, 10" Alnico from Scumback speakers.

Good suggestion, would be nice to hear from the people attending the course.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:11 pm 
Friend
Friend

brimc76 wrote:

Brian

Thank you Brian, would be great to hear your opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:14 pm 
Friend
Friend

Taz13 wrote:
Dave6789 wrote:

WGS 10" G10C - 75 watts.

Thanks,

I have all 4, go with the G10C in the combo for all round use slanted more towards the Fenderish and still do Marshall/Vox type tone. 10" vetran will give real cone breakup with the tramp and a 6L6 when you are in 'tude mode, you get a real Marshall vibe. Install a second switch in the back panel so you can use an EL34 and it gets real marshall type sound.
The British lead is an in your face kinda of nasal type mostly midrange tone. Cuts through anything. Using it in my Peavey Windsor studio combo (anything is better than a Blue Marvel) and it gets lots of play, But I wouldn't put it in the Tramp as it is not a tone for practice work.
I have the Vet 30 in a closed back 1x12 that works well with all my amps.
In my combo I am using the G10A and it is a phenomenal sounding combination. Normally in parallel with a WGS ET65 closed back 1x12 ext cab.
In the Combo go with a 10", easier to plug and unplug speakers, change tubes and impeadance selector switch access.
If you really have a need for a 12", see how much Coco will charge for an upgrade to a tweed combo with a cut out in the top for a Tramp. Then you have lots of space.
My preference is for the 10" is it keeps the weight down a little and the combo was made to travel and it does.
You can always add a ext cab down the road with any 12" you want.
Unless you like 15" speakers.
For the Tramp I built in a head style I have a 1x12 open back cab being made with a WGS G15C squeezed in :lol:

What are the odds of you having all four speakers. I was kind of leaning towards the G10A for the tramp combo. Thank you for your input.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:57 am 
Expert
Expert

I cut a new baffle for my Tramp combo cab with a 12" cutout & it worked just fine. It's a bit tight with alnico speakers with large bells, but a Red Fang did fin in there fine (pics in another thread). I know Stephen's done a Tramp or two with a 12" also.

Here's the thread with pics of my stock Tramp with 12" speakers mounted. The Lady Luck is ceramic & there's plenty of room. Things were tight with the Red Fang, but it sounded freakin awesome. The 10" Fang sounded great too.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2215

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:12 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Quote:
What are the odds of you having all four speakers.
Where I live they are the easiest to get plus they give great bang for the buck and the Canadian dealer is who I have my cabs made by. I don't own the G10C but have replaced the speakers (2x10)in a SS Amp with them with good results.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:30 pm 
Friend
Friend

Emohawk wrote:
I cut a new baffle for my Tramp combo cab with a 12" cutout & it worked just fine. It's a bit tight with alnico speakers with large bells, but a Red Fang did fin in there fine (pics in another thread). I know Stephen's done a Tramp or two with a 12" also.

Here's the thread with pics of my stock Tramp with 12" speakers mounted. The Lady Luck is ceramic & there's plenty of room. Things were tight with the Red Fang, but it sounded freakin awesome. The 10" Fang sounded great too.

http://www.trinityamps.com/phpbb/viewto ... =16&t=2215

Thanks for the info. I am leaning towards the 10" G10C right now, but will wait till the workshop is over next weekend. Hopefully some of the people will post their feedback from the workshop.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:30 am 
Friend
Friend

Roadstar wrote:
:D Well I managed to get my Tramp built and running at "Amp Camp" and this thing absolutely rocks. I think my choice of the 10" Scumback Alnico was spot on. "Sweet" is the word that comes to mine. I had a chance to have some seasoned ears give it a listen today and they all thought I had a 12" speaker. Playing with my band tonight so more reviews to follow.

Thanks for the imput. What model of the 10" Scumback did you use? I believe there are two.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:10 am 
Expert
Expert

Scumnicos are awesome speakers! The closest speaker to a 1960s Celestion Silver Alnico.