trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: old tubes
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:47 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I bought some older tubes for some of my Trinity amps... both my TC15 and 15 sound IMO better with them, especially the TC15.

However, after playing my Triwatt and swapping the tubes back and forth, I prefer the original tubes I had in it! Gold lion KT66s, a JAN 12AT7 and three Tung Sol 12AX7's.

I guess I will keep the other's for back up :)

Good to know....

Reason why? Well, the Gold LIons and tung sols sound "louder" and more crisp. Better headroom, and I like to dial in my own breakup with the OD pulled out. I found with the NOS tubes I was losing my clean tones at bar playing volume.

Trying different tubes is fun though...

AJC

Post subject: Re: old tubes
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:24 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

ajcoholic wrote:
However, after playing my Triwatt and swapping the tubes back and forth, I prefer the original tubes I had in it! Gold lion KT66s, a JAN 12AT7 and three Tung Sol 12AX7's. AJC

If you tried Mullard RI for the 12AX7s, you'd get another improvement. More fun :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:22 am 
Expert
Expert

I like the "Mullard" 12AX7s a lot. They are less bright than the "Tong-Sol" ones, but still have that liquid-clear, transparent definition. However, with the KT66s in the power stage being somewhat darker than 6V6s, the TS 12AX7s may be helping to give good overall tonal balance. Still you won't know until you try. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:39 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I know there are a lot of guitar and amp myths and half truths going around.. a simple visit to any guitar related forum will show people arguing about the meriuts of different things like woods, construction and design, pickups, speakers, etc etc.

I am not one to fall for a lot of what I think is BS... and I have read that tubes dont make that much difference. But the really do! I can certainlyhear the difference between preamp and power tubes, and dont get me started with the ef86... ;)

I think speakers have as much or more to offer to massaging the tone you want. The same amp and settings played through various cabs and pseakers sounds different.
Tubes are easy to swap and not really that much $$ considering how much I have invested in amps/guitars/effects. So I will probably try out some more in the future.

I still have yet to try the 6V6's in the triwatt though, as I love the sound I am getting now. Why mess with it :)

AJC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:57 pm 
Expert
Expert

coco wrote:
ajcoholic wrote:
However, after playing my Triwatt and swapping the tubes back and forth, I prefer the original tubes I had in it! Gold lion KT66s, a JAN 12AT7 and three Tung Sol 12AX7's. AJC

If you tried Mullard RI for the 12AX7s, you'd get another improvement. More fun :D

I really like the RI Mullard 12AX7.

Totally different from the "Tung-Sol" also made by New Sensor. It is smoother, and almost dark. Mids aren't super pronounced or special.

I use the Mullard in my ODS clone in V2 (overdrive tube). It really smooths the tone out, very balanced. Also sounds good in V1 of my 18W.

Would probably sound pretty good in the Triwatt. The Triwatt might be a bit bright and with a Tung Sol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:28 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Tryed several NOS and new tubes and I settled on Tung-Sol 12AX7, Ruby 12AT7, Tung-sol 6V6 or Tungsol KT66. Although I do like my rogers 6v6gt in the triwatt, I like them better in my champs.
Also been doing the cab thing to try out different speaker combos.
Haven't found a celeston that I like, but found I like a beringer 4x12 with new jenson speakers. It was surprising how it sounded. I like my WGS 2x12 and I have an old brand ? 12" 3.2 ohm that also sounds terrific with it.
This was done with mostly with my tele. Two Seymor Duncan Humbuckers that I normally run coil tapped.

Tele's make the best noise

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:43 pm 
Expert
Expert

ajcoholic wrote:
I am not one to fall for a lot of what I think is BS... and I have read that tubes dont make that much difference.

Whoever said that was either stupid or deaf - probably both. :lol:
ajcoholic wrote:
I think speakers have as much or more to offer to massaging the tone you want.

+1
ajcoholic wrote:
I still have yet to try the 6V6's in the triwatt though, as I love the sound I am getting now. Why mess with it :)

Because your curiosity level will gradually get worse, like an itch that won't go away. :lol: Then you'll try the 6V6s and probably end up putting the KT66s straight back in. :lol: More seriously, if you put in 6V6s you will probably find they're brighter than your KT66s, so most likely you will want ti change the TS 12AX7s out to something less bright.

kurtlives wrote:
I really like the RI Mullard 12AX7.... Would probably sound pretty good in the Triwatt. The Triwatt might be a bit bright and with a Tung Sol.

You're dead right, on both counts - assuming you're using 6V6 power tubes. KT66s are darker and will balance nicely with the TS 12AX7s.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:36 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Zaphod, when I got my tri kit I bought both KT66 and 6V6 tubes for it...

But the huge KT's are so damn sexy! :) But some day I will throw in the 6's and try her out.

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:51 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

zaphod wrote:
I like the "Mullard" 12AX7s a lot. They are less bright than the "Tong-Sol" ones, but still have that liquid-clear, transparent definition. However, with the KT66s in the power stage being somewhat darker than 6V6s, the TS 12AX7s may be helping to give good overall tonal balance. Still you won't know until you try. :)

Well, you'll know when you're finished with mine over there Phil! I want Mullard 12AX7's and KT66's in there!!! :D

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject: KT66 - Fender Beartraps?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:11 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Do you need to change the Tube Retainers for the Fender Style Beartraps to the Marshall Style Spring Type Tube Retainers when switching to KT66 (Golden Lions or Valley Arts) tubes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:54 am 
Experienced
Experienced

http://thetubestore.com/kt66reviews.html

The info at the tube store says only the sovtek and tungsol can not use the bear traps due to shorting through the metal base. The gold lion has a tapered base that doesn't allow the bear traps to grip.

Tele's make the best noise

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:17 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Taz13 wrote:
http://thetubestore.com/kt66reviews.html

The info at the tube store says only the sovtek and tungsol can not use the bear traps due to shorting through the metal base. The gold lion has a tapered base that doesn't allow the bear traps to grip.

I have gold lions... the bear traps do indeed cut into the bakelite base and hold it tight.

AJC