trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: KT66's vs 6V6's
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:13 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Has anyione tried the two different power tubes back to back?

When I bought my kit, and built it, I put the KT66's in and since it sounded so damn good I havent had the desire to try the 6V6's.

Maybe I am missing out? Should I try em?

Just gigged the Triwatt this past wekend again (I think that was the 4th weekend since I built it) and I still am amazed at how punchy this thing is. Played two semi-hollow guitars this weekend, one with HBs and one with TV's and they both sounded amazing.

I need to fire up my TC15, its been feeling lonely since the Triwatt came to town :)

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:56 pm 
Friend
Friend

I have used both. I started with the 6V6 tubes and kept saying "This is not possible! Clean loud headroom like this! No way!"

I had JJ 6v6 and 12ax7 except v4 with a 12at7. Great sound. Not I have put it the Shuguang KT66 and Tung-sol 12ax7 except the JJ 12at7 in v4 stayed. I just worry a bit about blowing a 30 watt Scumback 12. So I have mostly used it with the 2x10 Tone Tubby ceramic speaker and they can take it.

Sound wise I can't put my finger on what is going on. I can play country to Zep to Floyd to Grateful Dead with this amp. I need to play out with folks to really figure it out and don't get the opportunity to do that very often.

Hank S

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:32 am 
Experienced
Experienced

I am in the opposite camp. I put JJ 6V6 tubes in it, and unless I plan playing with a Keith Moon Volume Drummer, I will keep the 6V6s in the amp.

Cleans are alot better than my JCM 900 4502 (6L6) Combo, at similar volume levels.

Trying to figure out why it sounds so good. Possible reasons below.

1) Lower gain preamp vs. every amp I used since 1984. - takes effect well.

2) Hiwatt Style Power Amp seems to keep it together when being pushed hard for a relatively low wattage. I have hear some Fender 2 x 6L6 amps sound alot worse.

3) Beefy Transformers - I friend who worked for Line 6 testing amps (most old tube stuff) said "Size does make a difference"

4) Relatively large and deep 1 X12" speaker cabinets for my Triwatt Combo and Ext. Speaker Cab. (Both are open back 24"w x 20"h x 11"d)

5) Fane or Fane Clone Speakers (2" Voice Coils)

No sure if one thing is the reason why my Triwatt sounds so good, & much bigger for it's wattage, but I am very happy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:37 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

well, I have gigged it a lot (at least 4 weekends that I remember, maybe 5) since I built it, and I am so loving the tones.

I hate messing with something I like to much so thats why I havnt put in the other tubes.

Just thinking maybe I should - and test it out. Have another weekend bar gig next weekend...

AJC

ps I had a JCM900 combo (1x12), 50 watt reverb model with 5150 tubes (well, 5XXX something or anothers)... I liked that amp for heavy OD but the cleans were so dull. Sold it a number of years back...