Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:41 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

zaphod wrote:
Doubling the power output of an amp only gives a slight increase in loudness. The main difference is an increase in clean headroom. You have to increase the power by a factor of 10 to get a doubling in volume level. So the KT66 option is perfect for those who want more traditional Hiwatt style clean tones, while the 6V6s are great for those folks who want somewhat earlier breakup.

What if I want both?!? Do I have to get 2 Triwatts!!!!! ;) :P :lol:

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:45 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Emohawk wrote:
bgroup wrote:
OK, so I had the chance to A-B the 2204 with my JCM900 and you're right, the 2204 is gobs louder... BUT, most of the gain on the 2204 is unusable past 5 or 6 it just gets muddier - not appreciably better sounding or gainier... of course this is with the MV wide open. You've got to give those 6CA7's another chance Phil - my DR103 sounds AMAZING right now... ;)

I understand where you're coming from Brent. My 2204 is much the same. However, I must throw a caveat in there. My 2204 isn't quite a stock 2204, as we're discussed previously. I've got a number of "plexi" touches in there, primarily around the presence circuit & tone stack. I've also removed 2 of the three "treble peaking" circuits (bypassed the cap/resistor network going to the pre-amp pot & the snipped the bright cap on the master pot). And I'm running 50w Plexi iron from Heyboer (their Drake clones). Not sure how much difference there is between those transformers & the JCM800 50w iron, but I can say that with the master dimed it sags/compresses quite a bit. At that point the gain does tend to just roll on more mush as you crank it up.

I also boosted the first gain stage a bit but I'm considering backing that mod out or scaling it back. I never run the gain past about 1:00 anyway and it adds more noise than I'd like. There are other places in the circuit to boost gain and I may try those. The trick with the 2204 is to find a happy gain balance because with the amp's voicing things can get out of control in a hurry.

But, in any case, it's frightfully loud. :)

Mine is completely stock. Something that is unusual for me is that I actually really liked the tone with the gain dimed and the MV down low... completely opposite to how I usually run an amp!! :!:

I like loud amps... actually I LOVE loud amps. 8)

www.slyfichapel.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:47 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

ROB_PRICE wrote:
I am getting old & and they are all to loud!

I saw my old guitar treacher, play at Toads in New Haven Yesterday, with the group "Holding Pattern". He was using a JCM 900 4100. Toads is a decent sized place, and the 100 Watt Marshall with one 4 X 12 cab. was way to loud.

What is why, I will stay with 6V6s in the Triwatt, & I am pretty sure my next build will be a Trinity 18 Plexi, unless Trinity starts making 6V6 JTM45s.

Well, with all due respect Rob, it's not like the Triwatt with 6V6's ISN'T loud!!!! LOL! :wink:

18W Plexi... excellent choice! I need me one of those too!!! :D

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:21 pm 
Expert
Expert

bgroup wrote:
What if I want both?!? Do I have to get 2 Triwatts!!!!! ;) :P :lol:

Just get yourself a screw driver, a multimeter and a pair of oven gloves. Seriously. :lol: Then you can swap between the 6V6s and KT66s whenevr you want. :D
bgroup wrote:

Me too. I just can't get to use them most of the time. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:01 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Quote:
Just get yourself a screw driver, a multimeter and a pair of oven gloves. Seriously. Then you can swap between the 6V6s and KT66s whenevr you want

I got one of those EH silicon tube remover thingys! Good grip - no burnt fingers!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:23 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

bgroup wrote:
Quote:
Well, with all due respect Rob, it's not like the Triwatt with 6V6's ISN'T loud!!!! LOL!

I should qualify my comments more. I was meaning 100W & 50W Marshalls with 4X12 cabinets, cranked to get power tube distortion, combined with the piecing quality of certain types of Celestion Speakers in those cabinets. Throw in some single coil Strat "Ice Pick" also.

The thing I love about the Triwatt is is gets the "Big & Loud" Sound without being Too Big & Too Load, and Fanes seem to love Strats and Teles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:30 am 
Expert
Expert

bgroup wrote:
Mine is completely stock. Something that is unusual for me is that I actually really liked the tone with the gain dimed and the MV down low... completely opposite to how I usually run an amp!! :!:

That's how I run mine too, except with the gain around 1:00 (due to the gain mod). Actually I do like to get the master up around 1:00 or so too but it's in paint-peeling territory at that point.

And I agree - loud amps rock. Sometimes it's nice to pulverize things with sheer volume. As I have a 1/2 acre building lot I can actually get away with it! :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:33 am 
Experienced
Experienced

My wife was at the Cape, & my son was at my parents, so I did the "Dime Test"

While I still have my Marshall JCM 900 4502 2 X 12" Combo (2 X Celestion G12T-75 - 97 dB...). Marshall was placed in a 2 X 12 Cab so top speaker height was about the same distance off the ground as the Triwatt

Triwatt 1 x 12" Combo (Fane AX12-150L - 103 dB...) w/6V6 tubes stacked on an Avatar 1 x 12" Vintage Cab (Eminence "The Tonker" - 102.5 dB...).

Running them both on the Clean Channel (Channel A - Marshall/Linked Input w no OD - Triwatt) I dimed both amps master volumes and the Pre Amp Volumes.

With running the same guitar (Jimmy Vaughn Strat w/Klein 65 Pickups), they were the same volume to my ears.

Of course to me the Triwatt sounded better, not that the Marshall didn't sound good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:21 am 
Expert
Expert

Not surprised there Rob. I find the higher-gain Marshalls become a bit of a mess tonally with the pre & master wound out. Just my opinion. :) I'm sure plenty of JCM800 players will disagree.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:24 am 
Experienced
Experienced

I tend not to max out my amps. I will run the controls all between 10:00 to 2:00 O'Clock Settings. (Unless it's nighttime, then the Master is at 9:00)

I like Power Tube Compression more than Distortion.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:03 pm 
Expert
Expert

ROB_PRICE wrote:
I tend not to max out my amps. I will run the controls all between 10:00 to 2:00 O'Clock Settings. (Unless it's nighttime, then the Master is at 9:00)

I like Power Tube Compression more than Distortion.

Same here. I might push the gain harder at times, but I still like to get the power tubes cookin in pretty much any scenario. Not necessarily overdriving but at least pushed.