trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:21 am 

Hey all,

Just finished my first build - Tweed kit with VRM. All has gone well (no smoke, fire or electrocutions!) but on playing it properly this morning I'm finding it doesn't do anywhere near the level of dirt that I'd expect, so I assume I've done something wrong! I'm plugged into Bright/Hi, with both channels on 3 and tone on 9, which based on various youtube videos should have it screaming.

In testing, the only voltage that wasn't within 10% of spec was V2 pin7, which read at 6.5V rather than the expected 18W - presumably this is the reason for the cleanness?

In my haste to get it working I disregarded that after reading pin7 is known to be a little shaky on a DMM... So I plugged in a guitar, heard that it sounded good and got everything into the cab, and FWIW the amp actually sounds *really* nice in a slightly-crunchy-but-basically-clean sort of way, but I'm keen to understand what I've done wrong and how to fix it.

Any ideas?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:22 am 

Minor update, aka "I plugged a Les Paul in at 3pm and gave it some beans"... It's fine :D

Seems my gentle noodling the other day just wasn't quite the right volume settings, and I wasn't digging in hard enough. If I keep the Normal Vol on 3, but put Bright up to 5 and dig in it's got *plenty* of chewy tweedy bliss

Now I need to switch off and not play for several hours in case my downstairs neighbours complain! Going to look at attenuators now...!