trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:18 pm 

I'm a new member and this is my first post, so forgive me if this topic is not new or if I break any norms!
(I did do a search before creating this subject).

I've bought a Trinity 5E3 chassis kit to go in a Tweed Pro Clone Cabinet which I already own. I'm guessing that others have done this previously. I'm looking for any advice or "lessons learned".

A couple of specific questions:
The "cut-out" opening for controls is larger than the chassis is made for, so I am thinking about adding some "ears" to extend the top side of the chassis about a inch on each side. These would be a bent "angle" shape with 1" legs and about 2" long which I would screw or rivet into each end of the chassis so that the top leg was flush with the top of the chassis. The chassis would be suspended from these ears.
Has anyone done this before and is there a better way?

Also: My plan is to load the cabinet with an (early 70's vintage) Altec Lansing 418B Speaker (15" inch).
Has anyone tried this Speaker with a 5E3 Tweed circuit?
I have one in a Victoria Regal II (which is kind of Tweedy) and I love the tone.
The Tweed Pro Cabinet came with an Eminence Legend 1518 which is a speaker that I also have good previous experience with (in the Regal II and also in an Excelsior).
Does anyone have experience or suggestions as to which will pair best with the 5E3 circuit?
I think that the AL 418B (sensitivity 99db) will be about the same volume as most 12" speakers that are paired with the 5E3. I think the Legend 1518 (sensitivity 103.4) will add volume and probably some brightness.

Also: There is a small flaw in the tweed covering of the cabinet in the corner of the control panel opening where the wood shows through. Does anyone have successful experience with patching and lacquering the tweed covering materials?

All thoughts and suggestions are appreciated!
Thanks for having me on the forum,
MoBigBro.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:30 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Ears on the side are probably the best was but they need ot be very solidly attached.
Never tried that speaker so cant comment. If you have 0.1 uF coupling caps though, a 15"will be very bassy. You might want to change those to 0.2 or 0.1.
I think you could repar the tweed if you matched the tweed and lacquer.You cpuld just use wood glue to hod it in place , then lacquer over top.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:08 pm 

I am also a new member and I am also very interested in the field you are working in. I will absorb information on this topic and discuss it with you. aa route planner