trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: VRM and Tweed
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:43 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I know quite a few people have used the VRM on a Tweed. I have used it a lot on the 18 watt and it does a really good job there. I have a customer who likes the Tweed, but wants to turn it down and get the same sound at a lover volume - perfect application for the VRM.

I wanted to get some feedback from those who have used it on a Tweed as to how well you think it retains the tone at the lower volume levels.

I collected these:
Mike A - The sound is much more controllable.

steve_rolfeca - was very pleased with what I experienced after installing the VRM this evening.

I wanted to scale down the ooutput of my 5E3, both for practice at home (the volume controls are pretty abrupt a lower settings), and also for stage use. I originally expected the 5E3 to run out of steam on loud stages, but I've actually had more problems with the breakup coming a little late for some of the quieter settings I play in.

Mission accomplished, as the first twist of the knob dropped the output of the amp by a significant amount, with almost no tonal change at all. The impact on picking dynamics was minimal as well, which was a relief, as that's a major feature of this amp.

Still, ome of the most interesting (and unexpected) effects
came as I dug a little deeper into the VRM control. There seems to be three distinct ranges to this mod:

At a certain point, the bass response started to go away, imaking the amp sound more like a tweed Champ than a Deluxe. Noise levels were unchanged, and I could see this being a very useful setting for recording.

A little further on, the amp started to run out of headroom altogether, causing a marked increase in the amount of distortion.

To my surprise, the effect was quite musical. With a little tweaking of the tone control, I was able to play my Warmoth/Kinman strat at table radio levels, with a sweet, burnished quality caused by a barely audible, touch-sensitive distortion.

This stage was definitely not a rock and roll sound. It felt more like playing through an old Magnatone. Very nice for soft, slow-tempo blues lines, and shimmering rhytm parts. I found it quite addictive.

harmonyofthespheres - Whereas the Deluxe was virtually impossible w/o the VRM to dial in low output volumes. Now my Deluxe has a full range of adjustments, using the two interactive volume controls and the VRM. Plugging into the bright channel, the VRM allows me to adjust the normal channel volume to vary the midrange (and thus the amount of overdrive) and easily keep the output volume in the range I need. I think every Deluxe ought to have a VRM installation!

Post subject: Re: VRM and Tweed
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:38 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I added a few comments from some players on this. Looking for a few more. General thought seems pretty good.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:45 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I will agree with all the above and say that it still plays well with pedals.
Plus most of my use is with the i/p jumpered.
The only problem I have with the Tweed is I like the Tramp a lot more than the Tweed.

Tele's make the best noise

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:45 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Taz13 wrote:
The only problem I have with the Tweed is I like the Tramp a lot more than the Tweed.

LOL, didnt expect that one!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:25 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Epilogue - I installed a VRM into Tristan's Tweed. (Lead git in We Will Rock You; Rock of Ages etc.) He wanted to be able to turn down the level a bit for quite recording.

I replaced the power switch with a combined 1M On-Off / 1M Audio. After moving the power ground toward the tube side, I located the VRM board where the original power ground was.

Set it up stock & let Triatan test it. It did everything he wanted but he only used it to half setting of the dial which was conversation level. This was at a B+ or 100V.
To make the adjustment easier and remove the lower end 'noise', I added another 100K in series with the 100K resistor going to ground so the total was 200K. This meant the low end voltage was about 20% of B+ , give or take.

The results were excellent! With the Volume control on max, and turning the VRM, the volume goes from conversation level Bluesy Tweed at minimum setting to full bore Tweed and the tone was fully retained. Great Tweed Tone at low level.
I like the 200K mod a lot.

My son, andrew, was trying an amp out in the shop and I was in my office and could hear him playing (this it pretty typical :wink: ). It sounded so good and bluesy but the volume was so low (unheard of here!) I just had to go out and see how he was doing it. What amp was he playing? He had just found the VRM control on the Tweed!! 8)

Summary: This is a very worthwhile addition to the Tweed as well, and the extra 100K resistor is the "bees knees".

Highly Recommended. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:15 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Quote:
Summary: This is a very worthwhile addition to the Tweed as well, and the extra 100K resistor is the "bees knees".
The same if I substitute any other amp with VRM, say the Tramp, 18W, TC-15????

Tele's make the best noise

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:38 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

18 & 15 yes. Tramp already has a VRM on the power control but it works a little differently on a SE amp vs a PP amp.