trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: T-15 Build/New Builder
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:51 am 

Hello all! I recently found Trinity Amps as I was searching for a Matchless Lightning build layout. The forum and web-site have been great for information. I've never built an amp before, but have built several pedals from PCB and vero-board layouts. I'm 100% confident in my soldering skills, but only about 80% confident in the "not dying a 300V+ death" skills. I have swapped out filter capacitors in a Silverface Twin Reverb and lived to tell the tale.

I've been wanting to do a Hammond AO-43 to Lightning conversion for a while now, and I just purchased this Image. I plan on reusing as many parts is as feasible (PT, OT, chassis, Choke, etc), but I'm not going out of my way to re-harvest a bunch of $.20 resistors. Do you think the wires on that multi-cord would be able to be reused?

I'm a newbie here, so I'll try to help myself with the existing resources and by searching the forums for answers. I've skimmed through the Amp Builder's Guide as well as the one with Pics/Layouts/Schematics. I would love any other recommendations of things I should read, especially if they deal with T-15 builds.

Sorry I know I kind of rambled, but I'm excited.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:19 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Love it :thumbsup:

There's a lot of conversion storys out there with this amp if googled. I have never dug that deep into or have spec on the iron.

Coco and others would be way more helpful than me

I dug around for the right schematic for what you have but didn't come up with it :cry:

But I don't think it has a choke ( think the little transformer is a reverb tank driver) could be wrong

yes I know i'm not much help but looks like a fun project and good luck :mutate:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:29 am 

sazafraz, thanks for your help and the encouragement! I think I have a pretty good plan moving forward, but I am new at this; I don't know what I don't know yet.

I haven't been able to find an original schematic for this either, but I'll keep digging.Regarding the unidentified box on top, here are some better pictures.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/q7IAAOSwZVlXiC50/s-l1600.jpg

It appears to have two wires (red and blue) coming from the bottom.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/wI0AAOSwGtNXiC5h/s-l1600.jpg

This shows where they go when they are inside.

I do know that this Hammond organ had a complete separate module (chassis, tubes, etc.) for the reverb. How would I tell the difference between a choke and a reverb driver? Sorry for the newbie question, but my limited study of amp circuits has dealt more with PT, OT, attempting to understand voltages, etc. I'll keep digging on other peoples working lightning conversion builds to see if they reuse that smallest box.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:54 am 

I think it's a choke! The page here on Trinity mentions reusing the choke (although they relocated it). https://trinityamps.com/lightning_project2.htm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:43 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Didn't know that Trinity had that conversion page . 8)
Looks like it has a lot of good info there

Think you will need the original the tube rectifier type to keep your voltages in check for el84's

And yes it does now look like a choke . looking at the ao41 and another one from the l100 organ. the amp/reverberation portion.
When I glanced at it early didn't realize that the reverb transformer is in a different part of the amp and the choke is driving the plates of the 12bh7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:49 pm 
Friend
Friend

ทางบ้าน

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:53 pm 

Actually, it's not a choke. The primary is connected to the 12bh7 plates and the secondary drives the tank.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:44 am 

mbrooks0711 wrote:
Hello all! I recently found Trinity Amps as I was searching for a Matchless Lightning build layout. The forum and web-site have been great for information. I've never built an amp before, but have built several pedals from PCB and vero-board layouts. I'm 100% confident in my soldering skills, but only about 80% confident in the "not dying a 300V+ death" skills. I have swapped out filter capacitors in a Silverface Twin Reverb and lived to tell the tale.

I've been wanting to do a Hammond AO-43 to Lightning conversion for a while now, and I just purchased this Image. I plan on reusing as many parts is as feasible (PT, OT, chassis, Choke, etc), but I'm not going out of my way to re-harvest a bunch of $.20 resistors. Do you think the wires on that multi-cord would be able to be reused?
transfers CDG
I'm a newbie here, so I'll try to help myself with the existing resources and by searching the forums for answers. I've skimmed through the Amp Builder's Guide as well as the one with Pics/Layouts/Schematics. I would love any other recommendations of things I should read, especially if they deal with T-15 builds.

I don't think it has a choke

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:23 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Long tome ago conversion. I believe we reused a choke from some Hammod part on that project.