trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:15 am 
Friend
Friend

:) I bought the Westlabs trannie set (including choke) for my Lightning .. and it sounds great! Other than these sets and the one's now offered by S2amps, I'm just wondering what different chokes have been used by some of you guys out there ..
For instance, I know Hammond has a few different models of choke, one of them being the P-T158M, which seems to have the same specs but a lower dc resistance of 190 ohms. Can anyone "thrown any light" on this or share what they've used in their builds?

Thanks

Barry M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:41 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Barry,

I know the schematic says 10H but I've used both 12H and also 4H with equal success. The current rating needs to be a minimum of 125 mA though.
I always thought the West labs chokes were pricey for what you get and they are so small, I have a hard time believing they can handle 125mA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:07 pm 
Friend
Friend

:D Thanks Stephen .. have you used the Hammonds or any other particular chokes? If so, what models have you tried?

REGARDS

Barry M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:10 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I always found the Hammonds to be expensive for chokes. I use NOS OEMs from a local dealer in Toronto and get them for about 25% of Hammonds list price. :D . They're not Hammonds, I'll look to see the manufacture name, but they'd be an old Canadian mfg. i expect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:52 pm 
Novice
Novice

I used a hammond 10H in my spitfire - I don;t what you call cheap or expensive but I got mine for about $10-15 from Ceri@tone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:35 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Ceri@tone has good stuff. I paid $5 CDN for mine, so I think it's a good deal :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:59 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

ab3640au wrote:
:) I bought the Westlabs trannie set (including choke) for my Lightning .. and it sounds great! Other than these sets and the one's now offered by S2amps, I'm just wondering what different chokes have been used by some of you guys out there ..
For instance, I know Hammond has a few different models of choke, one of them being the P-T158M, which seems to have the same specs but a lower dc resistance of 190 ohms. Can anyone "thrown any light" on this or share what they've used in their builds?

Thanks

Barry M

Barry,

I'm actually including a Hammond 158M choke in my tranny set for now. It seems counterproductive to custom wind a simple inductor and charge a higher price for it. I think it would be tough to truly create a 'boutique' choke. So, I just include it in the set or sell it at my cost, which is about $18. I am looking for a less expensive alternative. Hint. Hint.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:10 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I think I saw a good choke for sale in the want ads that I think it would work fine.
The West Labs choke I saw was so tiny compared to the Hammond, or even my no-name I can not figure out how it meets spec, but, that's what they used.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:22 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

You have to remember that most Hammond products are grossly underrated. I'm betting the 158M will handle upwards of 150mA or more, so the West Labs choke is probably just fine even if it is a bit smaller. Maybe I'm just fond of it because I'm using it ;)

Also, the PT may be rated for 125mA, but that doesn't mean the actual current drawn by the circuit is that much. Remember that Matchless over-engineered everything, especially the PT and OT. You might measure the current draw on the B+ and get a feel for what it is actually pulling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:57 pm 
Friend
Friend

:D Guys .... thanks for the feedback on this subject. It's been most helpful :wink:

Barry M

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:08 am 
Expert
Expert

s2 wrote:
I'm actually including a Hammond 158M choke in my tranny set for now. It seems counterproductive to custom wind a simple inductor and charge a higher price for it. I think it would be tough to truly create a 'boutique' choke. So, I just include it in the set or sell it at my cost, which is about $18. I am looking for a less expensive alternative. Hint. Hint.

Hey Steve,

Does the 158M fit somewhere on Ceri@tone's #2 chassis? or do you have to drill extra holes for it?

-F

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:39 am 
Experienced
Experienced

You know, I don't really know. I have some #2 chassis on order from Ceri@tone, so I will find out as soon as I get them. Better yet, I'll email Nik and ask him.

Last edited by s2 on Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:13 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Nik's #1 Lightning chassis has slots for the choke, so it would probably fit. I have one so I'll measure one and post it.
strangegrey, you measure the spacing on the choke & we'll compare.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:52 pm 
Expert
Expert

Sounds like a plan.

The mounting holes on the 158M are spaced 2 13/16" apart. The width of the choke is 1 3/4" and it's 2" tall.

BTW, If it hasn't already been mentioned in this thread, the choke has the following vitals:

10H @ 100 mA DC
195 Ohms +/- 15%

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:45 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

The slots in the chassis I have from Nik will fit a choke mounitng spacing of 2-1/2" to about 3-3/16" so the 158M would fit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:53 am 
Experienced
Experienced

I just heard back from Nik. The Hammond choke will fit the #2 chassis, which is the one my trannies are made for. Good to go!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:20 am 
Expert
Expert

s2 wrote:
I just heard back from Nik. The Hammond choke will fit the #2 chassis, which is the one my trannies are made for. Good to go!

Niiiiice! Say, that's the choke I've got here. :lol:

Now all I have to do is finish this 18wlite and buy a set of S2's lightnin' trannies and get the ball rollin on the lightnin'!

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:44 am 
Novice
Novice

Just to reactivate an oldish thread, I ended up buying a 158M choke as well... I use hammond transformers in my ax84 p1x and I've been happy with them, so I figured I'd get their choke too.

For the actual transformers in my Lightning though I had Heyboer make some for me... For something as basic as a choke though I didn't think it was worth getting it custom made (someone else on this thread said exactly the same thing too)

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:25 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

strangegrey wrote:
Now all I have to do is finish this 18wlite and buy a set of S2's lightnin' trannies and get the ball rollin on the lightnin'!:)

So, I guess the 158 is off the market then?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:01 pm 
Expert
Expert

coco wrote:
strangegrey wrote:
Now all I have to do is finish this 18wlite and buy a set of S2's lightnin' trannies and get the ball rollin on the lightnin'!:)

So, I guess the 158 is off the market then?

LOL...yeah, looks like it! :)