trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 3:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 5:48 pm 
Novice
Novice

I was itching to take my new baby out and see how it did in a real world situation. Unfortunately my singer had to go back to working nights to keep from starving to death and my drummer said "I love ya, but I need to work steady so, see ya". This left my calendar quite, um, open.

My friend Dick runs some open jams around town, and is thrilled to have a pro show up, so if I do go out I sit in with the house band which always plays the first and last set.

Dick is a loud guitar player who uses a 60-watt Fender Deville 4x10. Otherwise the band is bass and drums.

The room we were in was a typical beach bar, big square room, lowish ceiling and windows all around 2 walls.

I brought my G&L ASAT and a wire. Put the amp on the floor, set it for cleanish and full with (all values CHT-chicken head time) Volume-9:00 Bass-8:00 Treble-9:00 M-full Cut-12:00.

Playing rhythm my tone was full, clear and defined. Very tight bass.

Turning up to solo was amazing. Again, clear and defined. The harshness I thought I heard at home was gone. The thing sounded like silk sheets feel. Sounded great in all pickup positions, but especially on the bridge.

Playing the bridge pickup, picking near the bridge with the guitar's tone control rolled back just a bit gave one of the most astounding (and unique) sounds I'd ever heard. Notes popped and swelled. Chords sounded like they were greased.

Yes, I was easily heard over Dick's Deville.

Sit down and let the jammers up. About an hour of rather loud and heavy handed Stevie Ray Vaughan wannabes.

I guess everybody's ears were ringing, because we got up and everybody seemed quite a bit louder. I won't play that game, so I left my amp set exactly the same. Although, theoretically I was "down in the mix", everything I played stood out anyway. At one point Dick and I were having a bit of fun and we started "dueling pinched harmonics". I expected them to ring out nicely but I couldn't believe what the little Lightning did--the harmonics didn't just ring or pop--it was as if they were launched in a fireworks rocket--shooting out and then exploding into a dozen other harmonics. Crazy.

Although I was playing quite clean, there was a relaxed sustain, and a willingness for notes to ring even when I didn't quite hit them right.

Very happy. In a situation where amps are not mic'd and I control the volume--there's way more than enough for small to midsize clubs and average drummers. I'm sure it would mic up nice too.

Anyway, that's it, long-winded but ALL TRUE.

See ya.

P.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:00 pm 
Novice
Novice

Cool!

I gotta say, though, from your tone control settings, that I wonder if you might not be happier with an amp with no tone stack?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 1:06 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Very cool post Paul. What kind of speakers/cab were you using? btw db, tone let the tone settings fool you. The lighting has a very wide range for the tone controls. I often run them almost full off with my humbucking guitars....or a tele.

Last edited by lbethune on Sat May 21, 2005 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 8:41 am 
Novice
Novice

The amp is in a Trinity combo cab loaded with two 10" speakers--one BBQ Blue Pup, one Silver 10, both with alnico magnets.

Plenty of bass coming out, and some musical compression which may partly be the speakers.

I'm not afraid of using the tone controls, I've found a bunch of interesting places, but in this case the other guitar player played a Strat, with a bright punky tone (think Ronnie Earl) and I wanted to be somewhere else. With the Bass and Treble controls low, you accentuate the mids, which is what I wanted right then and there.

P.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 11:44 am 
Novice
Novice

8)

Very Cool report! Glad ya had fun and the Lightning is doing it's thang of creating amazing Tone!

Thanks!!!

CR ><>

http://www.geocities.com/woodcrossamps/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 2:20 pm 
Novice
Novice

There's really not that huge of a difference in terms of dB between 15 watts and 60 watts - it's not 4 times louder like some people think. :wink:

Anyhow, thanks for the "gig report". 8)

http://www.diyguitarist.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 8:45 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

In fact, doubling the power from 15 to 30W will only give you 3 db more (just audible) but so will adding one extra speaker . Do a 4X12 and get 9 db more! Now that's audible!!

When you figure the cost to double the power (larger PT, OT & choke costs an extra $60-80, two extra EL84s @ $10, the bill is at least an extra $100. An extra speaker is about the same price, and a lot less work and maintenance! Downside is a bigger/heavier cab.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 8:46 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

In fact, doubling the power from 15 to 30W will only give you 3 db more (just audible) but so will adding one extra speaker . Do a 4X12 and get 9 db more! Now that's audible!!

When you figure the cost to double the power (larger PT, OT & choke costs an extra $60-80, two extra EL84s @ $10, the bill is at least an extra $100. An extra speaker is about the same price, and a lot less work and maintenance! Downside is a bigger/heavier cab.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 10:15 am 
Novice
Novice

Quote:

Hmm... I did not know about this speaker trick. :shock:
It never fails - I always learn something new every day!

http://www.diyguitarist.com