trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 3:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Matchless tranny size
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:11 pm 
Friend
Friend

I was just wondering if anyone knows if the size of the 15 watt tranny has changed somewhere along the line? I have a Matchless PT, that I was told was for a 15 watt amp, but when I look at Westlab.com and check out his dimensions for his trannys- it's the size physically of the 30 watt PT. I know that they put out the same volts, but the 30 watt has a a higher current rating. Is there anyway to tell what the current rating is? I'd hate to assume it's a 30 watt tranny and then ruin it.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:33 pm 
Novice
Novice

You might be able to email West Labs and ask them. It wouldn't surprise me if the dimensions are the same for both the 15 watt and 30 watt transformers. It's the windings inside where it counts...

http://www.diyguitarist.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:35 pm 
Friend
Friend

I don't have the information right in front of me but it is posted on the website at Westlabs.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:08 am 
Friend
Friend

I checked his site and the physical dimensions are different between the 30 and the 15. Like I said mine is the size that he has listed for his 30 watt tranny. Does anyone have a recent real 15 watt matchless so they check the dimensions on the tranny :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:20 am 
Novice
Novice

I built my Spitfire clone about a year ago using the 15 watt West Labs iron set. Do you want me to measure my power transformer?

I still think you ought to get in touch with West Labs about this. They may be using the same frame for the 15 and 30 watt transformers now and he didn't update his page or something. (That's what I was eluding to in my earlier post) 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:40 pm 
Friend
Friend

I went back to the website and noticed that the most distinguishing feature is not the sizes, but the different weights. The thirty watter weighs 12 pounds and the fifteen only six.

Hope this helps. BTW I'm building a HC-30 clone and I need a PS tranny if you have a thirty and its not good for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:49 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

There was a time when Matchless designed the 15 & 30 to be the same physical size, only less laminations for the 15. They thought they would standardize on chassis design, then they went bust. There were some of these floating around and you might just have one of them.

The originals were different physical sizes and still are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:01 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

chck out the wants ads if you're interested in trannies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:39 am 
Novice
Novice

Quote:
There was a time when Matchless designed the 15 & 30 to be the same physical size, only less laminations for the 15.

This makes sense from a manufacturing standpoint - I would think that it's cheaper and more practical to produce that way. However, it does make identification a little more difficult...

Post subject: Hi Troy
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 5:46 am 
Friend
Friend

Been a while. I thought I gave you the dimensions. Stephen is correct about the size differences. Sorry I didn't catch this post sooner, I have been away from the computer for a while and just catching up. If you are not happy, drop me a line and I will work something with you, we like to keep our customers happy. All the best, Bob Wood, Transformer Design and Supply, San Jacinto, California.